Electricity is a basic necessity for industrial establishments, but if used carelessly, it can be very dangerous. The main hazards of electricity are shock, burns, fire and explosion. These can result not only due to improper handling but also if the initial installation was not appropriate or if there was a lack of good maintenance. This is why only licensed and skilled industrial electrical contractors should be employed for electrical engineering services. In NJ, electricians should also be registered with the electrical contractors association.
In garment factories, inappropriate electrical fittings can not only cause shock and electrocution, but also a sudden fire. In order to ensure electrical safety in the factory owners and workers must take care of the following things:
- All plugs, sockets and fittings should be sufficiently robust for factory use and the wires and cables should be tested for any cuts or damages. All power cables to machines should be armored, covered in thick flexible rubber or PVC on installed in conduits. Skilled industrial electrical contractors can install the wiring in a way that it runs across the ceilings and walls and is then connected to individual machines. Wiring should not run across the floor where it is likely to cause trips and falls.
- There must be switches or isolators near all fixed machines to cut off the power. These switches should be clearly labeled and within easy reach and the workers should know how and when to use them. To ensure that these switches always function without any defects, industrial electrical contractors should be consulted for maintenance. ‘
- All circuits in the garment factory must be protected by fuses and circuit breakers. These must be correctly rated for the circuit that they protect.
- All equipment must be grounded and a separate earthing wire must run from the machines to an independent earthing rod.
- There must be enough sockets in the factory. Use of multiple adopters and loose extension leads is not safe in industrial premises. By availing electrical engineering services, factory owners can get sockets and receptacles installed in the right corners.
- Portable tools like cutting machines and equipment should be double-insulated and earthed.
Centrim Electric is one of the leading electrical engineering services in NJ and NY. As industrial electrical contractors, we have successfully completed electrical projects for numerous large and medium scale organizations in New Jersey and New York. Contact us for any residential, commercial or industrial electrical installation/maintenance work.