It may be winter or summer, electricity bills do make for significant part of monthly expenditures. Cost of using room heaters in winters and air conditioners in summers makes for big portions of the bill. Contacting licensed and registered residential contractors for electrical maintenance can help in optimum performance of electrical systems and some reduction in bill. At the same time, you should also be aware of the phantom loads at your home and make conscious efforts to eliminate them.
Phantom load is the electricity consumed by a device while it is turned off or in standby mode. It is the power that maintains your TV settings and keeps the clock going on your music system and microwave, but this power comes at a price. A joint study by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and few other environmental agencies around the globe put this price at a full 10 percent of your monthly electricity bill.
Some of the devices that we keep plugged into sources of electricity even when they are not in use include:
- VCD, DVD players and music systems
- Cell phone chargers
- Computers and printers
- Microwave ovens
- Clock radios
- Answering machines
- Any device with a remote control
To ensure that these phantom devices do not impact your bills, you can make some simple changes in the way these products are used. As per residential contractors in NJ and NY you should
- Unplug things like mobile, laptop and digital tablet chargers that continue to drain energy even when they are not supplying a 'charge' to the concerned device.
- Consider leaving your microwave, coffee machine and VCD player unplugged till the time you actually need them.
- Plug all of your computer components – CPU, scanner, printer, and others – into an efficient power strip. Then, flip the strip off the power supply once you are done using the computer system. Do the same for your TV, DVD player and other home entertainment devices that are kept close to each other.
Electrical devices need to be used safely and efficiently – regular maintenance by residential contractors registered with electrical contractors association in NJ and NY does prove helpful – a proficient residential contractor also informs you about the most economical ways to use electrical systems at home.
Centrim Electric is a reputed residential contractor and commercial electrical contractor in NJ and NY. Contact us for any electrical services or information that you need for the appliances used in your home.